Discover more from Krassensteins' Democratic Informer - Fighting Hate & Lies
Today's Top Democratic News Headlines - Thursday April 13
We aggregate and explain what you may have missed.
Billionaire GOP Donor Harlan Crow Bought Undisclosed Property from Clarence Thomas.
- ProPublica has published another bombshell story regarding Harlan Crow and Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas.
- In 2014, a Texas billionaire named Harlan Crow bought a single-story home and two vacant lots in Savannah, Georgia from Justice Clarence Thomas and his relatives.
- This marked the first time that Crow had given money to Thomas, who did not disclose the sale despite a federal law requiring so.
- Experts say that Thomas' failure to disclose the transaction suggests that he was hiding a financial relationship with Crow.
- It's unclear if Crow paid fair market value for the Thomas properties, but he paid significantly less for other properties on the same block.
Biden Takes Action to Increase Healthcare Coverage for DACA "Dreamers"
- The Biden administration has announced a new regulation to make nearly 600,000 immigrants eligible for government-subsidized health insurance programs.
- The regulation would allow those enrolled in the DACA program to obtain coverage under Medicaid and the Affordable Care Act if they meet eligibility rules.
- The proposed HHS rule would alter the definition of "lawful presence" for Medicaid and Affordable Care Act eligibility to give DACA recipients access to these programs.
- If finalized, this rule would make DACA recipients eligible for these programs for the first time.
- DACA recipients will be able to apply for coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace and their state Medicaid agency, where they may qualify for financial assistance based on income.
21-year-old Arrested in connection with the leak of classified Pentagon documents
- Jack Teixeira, who is a member of the Massachusetts Air National Guard, has been arrested
- Teixeira, was allegedly the leader of the online chat group where the first leaks took place.
- The leak was allegedly “a deliberate criminal act.”
- Federal agents raided a home in North Nighton, Massachusetts this afternoon.
Special Counsel Jack Smith Investigating Trump for WIRE FRAUD.
- Trump allegedly raised over $200 MILLION for a non-existent ‘Official Election Defense Fund,' based on lies he told about the 2020 election.
- He then allegedly siphoned this money into a Super Pac that spread it over other pro-Trump organizations.
- The Sentencing guidelines for $200M in wire fraud would likely equate to 20 years in prison if it's proven.
Mitch McConnell Returning to the Senate on Monday
- McConnell tweeted out that he would be making his return to the US Senate next Monday.
- Prior to this tweet rumors had been circulating that McConnell was considering retirement. It appears these rumors were false.
Donald Trump outlandishly claims that Biden obstructed the investigation into documents he found in his office.
- In reality Biden turned them over as soon as he found them and also allowed for a full search by the FBI.
- Trump also makes a remark about the documents being found in “Chinatown,” which seems irrelevant. The storage location for the documents were located in Chinatown.
- Trump of course is under investigation for obstructing the investigation into his own documents case at Mar-a-Lago.
Nebraska Republican Claims 6-Week Abortion Ban is Required to Counter Non-Foreigner Population Decline
- Republican Nebraska State Sen. Steve Erdman made the claims.
- This is a typical 'Great Replacement theory' line of thinking
- His argument is that "foreigners and refugees" are taking over because Nebraska aborts babies, and they can't fill job vacancies.
Please consider becoming a free or paid subscriber if you enjoy what we provide each day.